We at Volocopter are the pioneers of electric air taxis, i.e. aircraft that take off and land vertically (eVTOLs). We bring urban air mobility to life, by getting air taxis and drones off the gorund in a way that complements current transportation options in megacities across the globe. Our aim is to offer affordable on-demand air taxi services that fly people to their destination quickly and safely. In 2011 we performed the first-ever piloted flight of a purely electric multicopter and have since showcased numerous public flights with our full-scale VoloCity aircrafts (www.volocopter.com).
Your mission during this flight:
Our batteries are a key component to making the Volocopter fly safely. With your specific experience in electrical engineering, you contribute directly to the development of this unique, safe and simple flight experience. As an integral part of our battery unit development team, you support in driving the electrical development of this component with a focus on following topics:
• You will perform Electrical analysis and design HV design elements such as cell interconnections, fuses, wires, connectors, contactors.
• You will support on the definition of Low Voltage power supply, command and monitoring signal wires and communication wires inside the battery packs.
• You will generate, based on simulated models or hand calculations, electrical analysis reports that evaluates voltage and current behavior over time per flight power profile, short circuit behavior based on cells conditions (SOC, SOH) and interconnections at pack level, intra and inter unbalanced operation of batteries, charging state analysis, equivalent circuit at pack level.
• You will perform data analysis, coordinate and propose operational improvement of batteries operated with the flight test campaign fleet.
• Your tasks will include requirement capture, and formal validation of electrical related aspects of HV batteries.
• You will define the means of compliance of electrical design related requirements.
• You will review test procedures and test reports related to electrical tests of batteries.
• You will support troubleshooting and improvement of the charging and discharging operations of batteries with the applicable charging stations.
Check in your professional skills:
• Bachelor and preferably master's degree in electrical engineering.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in electrical design of systems/components.
• Solid expertise to size aviation compliant HV DC electrical components (HV fuses, contactors, electrical interconnection elements, wirings, and connectors).
• Experience in performing certified electrical battery design for transportation related organizations.
• Experience in designing electrical HV battery solutions.
• Solid expertise on designing electrical interfaces to electronic sensing embedded monitoring/command circuits.
• Expertise on electrical modeling and simulation (LTSpice, Amesim, Electrical Simscape).
• Knowledge of aviation standards and recommended practices (ARP4761, DO160, DO311) or equivalent from other industries.
Some of our Volocopter flight perks:
Our differences are what makes us great. Here at Volocopter, we value equal opportunities and trust, and we give each and every one of our employees the chance to voice their opinions. As air mobility industry innovators, we believe that changing the world starts on the team level. We are fully committed to driving this innovation by celebrating diversity and fostering an inclusive culture where everyone is treated equally and respectfully, regardless of our different backgrounds and job titles.